Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The floor swallowed me up

I raced home on my bike, through tearing winds and quickly departed back up the hill with my folder of documents, duplicate keys and two cars to part exchange in convoy. I did all the paper work with the salesman, signed over the old cars to a rusty grave at the local auctioneers, updated the V50 documents and dealt with all the formalities. The i's were dotted and the t's were crossed. They had my old cars now and I was sorry to see them go but i no longer had insurance to drive them after today anyway. The deal was done. I could see my new car sitting not 20 meters away, waiting for me, calling me... I went to pay the outstanding £3.5k balance on my debit card... DECLINED "oh... oh shit... oh crapping shit!" I started to feel a little light headed. "Try a lower amount, say... £2k, just in case there is a limit on the transaction amount - you know... for fraud or something...?" DECLINED "shitty crap crap shit crap!" A quick call to the lady at the bank told me all i needed to know. Although they tell you that the money is in your bank account - you can't have it! No no no! How silly of me! Of course! How could i have been so stupid! "WHAT THE **** ARE YOU PLAYING AT?" "we cannot release the funds... not until the cheque for £3.5k clears that you put in last week." DOH... I left feeling empty, sucked dry of any excitement and pumped full of the pain of embarassment. The salesmen cowboys ran my red face out of town and herded my two cars away to be branded, slaughtered and sold. They jeered at me from behind their advertisement window paintings as i left putting the final knives of pain in my back as i trod the lonely road home. But i will be back. "And this time... i'm gonna bring my money!" In the words of Hugh Grant... "Bugger!, bugger bugger bugger bugger!" Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

9 comments:

Chris said...

Dude, what a bugger!

I sympathise, especially being made to feel humiliation in front of car salesmen, I mean, well really.

This whole cheque clearing thing is a complete anachronism in this day and age as well. We live in a world of high speed secure communication, their justification harks back to a time when they'd need two stagecoach journeys to ferry the groats about.

In the words of Renton "It's a shite state of affairs, (and all the fresh air in the world isn't going to change it)"

bigfootcookie said...

Oh dear, a smarmy car salesmen is not the kind of person you want this to happen in front of.

I agree, this cheque clearing nonsense is complete bollocks in this day of eighteenth century technology.

If the cheque hasn't cleared, then why show it as a credit on your account?

They only do it to earn interest on your money. You don't see any of it. Modern banking is the new Dick Turpin.

MrNoxious said...

You're not wrong, it wasn't half windy last night.

Captain Beefheart said...

The shitty cock licking arse whores who run this country's degenerate financial institututions will never pass up an opportunity to slip you a length and make you smile and say "thank you for allowing me to have my money"

Cunts. Sorry to hear about the jamjar squire. When will you get it?

Tao said...

I called and spoke to the India branch of the Bhupinder Bank this morning at 07:30 after checking my balance on the interweb to double make sure and the cheque had cleared. I was given the green light!

So off i went to the dealer, paid the balance, handed over the spare keys and parcel shelves from the old cars I had forgot to take with me yesterday and I drove my new car to work.

It's like driving a boat with an armchair in! As soon as I started the engine it said "SERVICE NEEDED" so I will be back onto them soon to get them to pay for that.

The only problem is... I used to use my iPod via a cassette adapter - but the car has a CD player! Looks like I will be looking out for an FM transmitter thingy - although they are illegal in the UK.

Any ideas anyone?

Captain Beefheart said...

You know me with gadgets - I haven't a clue what you mean about the FM thingy.

And I've posted your questions in the comments here

Tao said...

:sigh:

For someone who held various jobs as Senior iT Managers/Directors you are the most "techno leper" person I know.

I bet you get confused by a doorbell!

bigfootcookie said...

"you are the most "techno leper" person I know"
HAHA, you mean it's not me?!


What's a door bell? Door? Bell?

Chris said...

I have an iPod transmitter, it works okay not brilliant. My chum has the same model (belkin) and it works a treat in his (much) newer VW Bora.

Carphone whorehouse were doing a hard-wired firewire install to your vehicle's existing stereo for about £80 a while back, advantage is that it charges your pod - much better for WBB's epic french drive for example.

If you want I'll bring the transmitter over next beertime and we can fiddle in your car.