Thursday, November 17, 2005

Man Flu

My body lay wet, cold and broken on the bed. Each twitching movement sending another prickly wave of pain from my back over my shoulders to my kneck. A bright ring of light was held tight around my skull, slowly twisting tighter as my brain inside throbbed harder and harder to escape from any orrifice it could find safe exit. And then I swallowed. Yep. I got the Man Flu again - but this time I also get to have 100% extra free Throat Infection too! Yipee!.. ow! I started to feel all tingly and achy on Friday last week and went downhill fast. Slept for 21 hours on Saturday and then had to endure the dreamlike comical toytown nightmare reality that was taking my wife to work on Sunday and then looking after the kids for six hours. Its amazing how much notice kids take of you when you are shouting soundlessly at them from the dizzy void of another dimension. The highlight of Sunday was taking my kids for a spin on the merry-go-round at the new Christmas display at my local shopping centre. It was just like the ending of 2001 - but with more hurting. It might have all been a dream... I'm just not sure! I got prescribed Penicillin (Phenoxymeythylpenicillin potassium) by my local surgery on Monday and have been on a steady dose since. Much crashing on the sofa was also prescribed and some DVDs had to be watched. I braved a return to work yesterday, against others wishes and better sound judgement, thinking I would be able to function but just found that my computer screen had turned into a milky puddle of rippling colour and that my hands kept on disappearing. When I was trying to talk to Mr Noxious about a remote install of Access 2000 he was attempting to an NT4 workstation with a .147 IP address I had to struggle to keep my sanity as he veered off the subject at random to talk about "tubes" and "hair folicles". Not what I needed at all. Again today I feel like my head is being squashed into the corner of the sofa by a big bean bag full of tiny ringing alarm clocks. My spacial awareness has gone completely off the radar and things look and feel a lot smaller or larger than they could be. Even as I sit and type this on my spongy keyboard, I feel the room spinning around me under my chair (which thankfully is on wheels) and my feet feel like the floor is pitching up and down under them, like they are on the pedal of an old sewing machine. Must be time for some food I think. Nothing too crunchy though. Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

7 comments:

Tao said...

I admit they were not my tonsils.
I did think about taking a shot of the offending blighters during their full milky coated loveliness... but I fell asleep or something else obscure happened....

Really though, mine are not totally dis-similar to the photograph i nicked.

Anyway. Just cos you have had something done, we don't all have to have it done do we! Besides, I have spent too long off my nut already this lifetime...

Ghone said...

WBB has a point - I had mine out 10 years ago and rarely suffer from any throat related ilnesses now.
Beside you get to eat lots of jelly and icecream "But, it's medicinal!"

From your description of your feelings it sounds like you are enjoying the sensations of a class C drug (aparently).

If you need some lucozade or sumink just let me know. x.

Tao said...

This is actually my first ever throat infection and my first ever time on anti-biotics!

But i guess its all downhill from here eh?
The infection appears to have spread into my ears a little too.

Loz said...

I really feel for you, my sister just had this exact same thing and she looked like she was dying, if not dead already. she's still coughing like a 90 year old with emphysema and half a lung.
hope you're feeling better, it's a shame though you went and popped your antibiotic cherry. should've saved it for something special!

MrNoxious said...

Me, random? Never.

Don't sound like too much fun, and if you feel as bad as you sound then you must feel baaaad :(

and err, giraffe.

Fella said...

Hope you are feeling better Mr. T, those infections are nasty.

bigfootcookie said...

And when I was wittering away on the phone to you today, I thought you were just being polite and listening quietly.
I didn't realise that in your antibiotic induced trip, you where actually riding Aslan, (The Lion from Narnia)down the red road in MK, whilst the dead girl from "The Ring" was trying to steal your Ipod.

No wonder you just wanted to slip slowly to the ground and sleep.

Get better soon Mr Polka dot throat.