Thursday, August 25, 2005

Rain, rain, don't go away...

A few years ago when I took a holiday with my parents to the Lake District and we climbed up into the hills above Derwentwater, my Dad stopped and said:
"Just think.. when you are sitting there at work, this is all still here. Just as quiet and peaceful."
How i wish i was there now instead of stuck here slowly going blind in front of this keyboard. I wish I could "bunk off" work and go there for the day. I would also hope that it was raining too as i prefer the rain to hot weather. I could be sitting in a tent near the lake with rain "pit-a-patting" on the flysheet, reading or drawing, and just chilling out. The euphoric smell of freshly wetted grass and mud mingled with the smoky crackle of my campfire dying in the shower drifts through into the tent. My iPod would be there for the times when music suited the mood and I could turn my mobile phone to silent, or just accidently drop it in the lake whist taking the Derwentwater motorboat across to the other side on another long walk back to the campsite, shooting some black and white photos on the way. A freshly whittled walking stick would also be needed as i sneer at tourists and pretend to be a local. I would have a flask of coffee, a miniature of Jack Daniels, a freshly baked loaf of wholemeal granary bread with a jar of Peanut Butter to fill my tummy at lunchtime and a pack of Lucky Strike cigarettes to compliment my columbian coffee breaks. And at 5pm I could go home to my family - as if nothing had ever happened.... See.. i don't want for much, do i? Where would you go on the day you bunked off work? Technorati Tag Explosion: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Captain Beefheart said...

I'd go for Embassy Lights rather than Lucky's but otherwise that sounds pretty perfect :o(

Thanks for reminding me those places do still exist when I'm stuck here pretending to work, though. I'll carry that around today

bigfootcookie said...

Mine would be camped next to the lake at the base of Snowdon, North Wales. Lying in my tent doorway, head propped up on my rucksack, just spending a whole day watching the clouds drift over the Snowdon Horsehoe.

And far enough away from the miners track path not to hear all the mindless chuntering of all the others trying to achieve the same.

mmChronic said...

I'd go for herbal rollies rather than Lights. ;)

Having just got back from a short camping break in Yorkshire I could go along with the camping theme. However as I bought World Of Warcraft when I got back my answer would now be 'lounging around the house'.