Friday, September 16, 2005

Dementors

"The book is better than the film"
Not being a *proper* book reader, I cannot really uphold this statement. The last time I read a *real* book was during the first year of a sleepy slumber, commuting to Birmigham. The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings in case you were wondering. As the years progressed I started to listen to audiobooks on the train and did all the Harry Potter books. I have also recently read the new Harry Potter book in PDF format which I got from.. er.. somewhere. I recently taped Harry Potter and the Prisoner Of Azkaban and watched it last night with (the current) Mrs Taoski. I was obviously expecting too much - as it was total shite. The acting was bad and the characters were totally wooden. It really was nothing like the book. As per usual with these types of films, they were referring to things that you would have only known if you had read the books. They did this in LOtR too - but made up for the omissions with the Extended Editions. I had to end up explaining bits of the plot as Mrs Taoski was unaware that the black dog really was Sirius Black. Crap, crap, crap, crap CRAP! Lets hope the next film is better.

12 comments:

MrNoxious said...

Name a film that was better than it's literary counterpart?

I can only think of Trainspotting as the book was written in Scottish.

Tao said...

My wife bought a copy of Trainspotting to read year ago.

I nearly fooled her into taking it back to the shop and asking for the "english version" as she was finding the translation a little troubling!

Ubermilf said...

I also hated the scrawny, hairless, non-scary "werewolf" that Lupin became.

Tao said...

I quite agree.

Then again - not too scary for the little kiddies eh?

Courtney said...

Beign a lover of the books. I have to say I was very diaspointed in the 3rd movie. The 4th book has always been my favorite, and I hope very much they don't screw it up.

Loz said...

I'm lucky, I stopped reading after the first one (I only bought it by accident) so the movies can't let me down! plus they let me indulge in my secret passion for Alan Rickman.

Tao said...

Rickman is creepily groovy in everything he does!

Loz said...

particularly Dogma.

Scarlet Hip said...

To Kill A Mockingbird - the movie matched the book. It's the only time in history that I believe both the book and the movie were incredibly awesome.

Ghone said...

One flew over the cuckoo's nest - great book & great film.

Fella said...

That was my biggest beef with it too, they didn't explain Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot & Prongs. I knew who they were of course but what about the layman (illiterate slob) who hasn't read it.

No offense to the current Mrs. Taoski.

Tao said...

You have obviously seen my wife! lol.

No, she is beautiful and is totally excellent! (and i mean it!)

The film was like the book, but the abridged version for blind people with narcolepsy.

Still wank!
The trailer is out for GoF, i must download it to check for inconsistencies.