Tuesday, September 20, 2005

My blue triangle going to waste

My wife recently started drawing again (to fill the void of both kids being at school). She is still pretty good considering that she has not picked up a pencil for nearly 20 years. My parents who have both been artists and art teachers in their time (and who still paint) have been giving her lots of encouragement - not that she needs it. Last night I got out my portfolio containing my artwork from my GCSE, A Level and Foundation Year art courses i did at school/college so that they could all see what level I was at. Some of the work I do remember, alot I do not (we'll blame Reefer Madness on that one). What I was quite pleasantly suprised to find is that some of it is actually quite good. My art tutor at college (deceased) was a cantankerous surly man who made it perfectly clear that his real ambition in teaching was to get to the pub at lunchtime. He was quite rude to me about my work and I remember him making several of the female students cry over their work being too "twee". I quite liked his brash manner though and we did get on ok - until he called me a "Cunt" and said that I would be "laughed out the door" of Manchester University as I did'nt have lots of oil paintings to show them at my interview. That was back in 1990. 15 years later and i'm into computers. I hardly even write with a pen any longer - let alone draw! I now feel under pressure to perform! Whilst I was not brilliant at life drawings or oil painting I did have a flair for abstract designs and compositions. I was much happier listening to some Hawkwind and doing odd surface textures and patterns than doing a full blown portrait of a naked man, out to get some extra cash in the evenings. Maybe I will try to do something again... I do feel scared though. Scared that it will all be crap and that I will have lost the ability completely. I will take some photos or scans of some of my work in the next few weeks and will upload them when I get time. My dad thinks some of them are brilliant - but he would say that, would'nt he. Note: Picture is by R B Kitaj who's narrative painting style I emulated during my college years.

1 comment:

bigfootcookie said...

Art scares me.

I thought I was good at art at school, but then dropped it to do geography.

I then saw some fantasy art that my brothers friend did 2 years below me, and made me realise how shit tin pot I really was.

The stuff he could do with an air brush was outstanding. But the bugger would never sell me any of his work. He said each piece was "too personal"

I believe he now works as an artist for a major gaming company.

Where as I am just a piss artist working for a major asset stripping company.