Monday, January 09, 2006

Radio Scum

I am not known for my outspoken views - or even for my beliefs. In fact - I have little opinion about very little - and what I do have an opinion about, I usually keep to myself. Last night during my usual 9pm Sunday night shower, I was listening to "The Sunday Surgery" on Radio1. An Agony Aunt style program where listeners can call in with problems and the smug doctor and presenter can advise them on where they went wrong. As part of this format, they have a section where the listeners can call in to give their opinion and advice on someone elses problem. This time, the person who needed the information was a 17 year old girl who was deciding if she should have an abortion or not, as her 21 year old boyfriend said he would "stick by her" and "do good for the baby n' nat". She had not told anyone else about this though... This is wrong on so many levels.
  • The fact that Radio1 should entertain a public airing of such a contravertial issue.
  • The fact that Radio1 chose it to be a "free for all" allowing the public to call in to help.
  • The fact that the girl actually came on the air and talked about the problem to millions of people - but she could'nt tell her parents.
Poo to Radio1 for allowing this to go ahead. I never heard the ending, or any of the comments that "the public" gave - but I can imagine what they were like. I'm glad i'm a Radio4 man. They have much better programs. Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Fella said...

do you guys just have like 6 radio stations?

bigfootcookie said...

Errr, that are worth listening too?

Yes.

Chris said...

All this could be solved if they just had the cojones to implement my plan to simulcast "Sterilisation Frequencies" alongside Radio 1, and ITV.

You all know it's true.

Fella said...

I agree with Chris.