Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Think again...

I had this great idea. I would install Apache and Wordpress locally, following the instructions over here and publish a work intranet blog thing to help us feed out information to the members of our (small) section. I have recently been fiddling with this setup on my machine at home and if you are lucky, you might even find my test Wordpress blog lurking over at http://taoski.blogdns.com - but only if my firewall lets you in, the Apache stuff is running and the kids are not playing Backyardigans games on the web. It works pretty well - especially for testing out Wordpress - which is way, way, way more advanced than Blogger and looks pretty cool. I still intend to migrate to Wordpress and my own domain at some point - but as you can guess from my previous post, cash and my spare time might be a little tight! Anyway. I get the site set up at work and its all working but Apache just keeps on crashing! Crashing when I attempt to upload a file during a post, crashing when I try to post a test comment and crashing when I move the mouse too fast after drinking too much coffee. I'm on the late shift tonight - so I might have time to play with it a little more. Ahhh... the joys of a technical job... Don't you just love it? It used to be all "exciting", "innovative" and "rewarding" but now it's just "boring", "samey" and "mundane". I wish I had used my A-Level art and A-Level Graphics Design for something rather than just creating a pile of quickly deteriorating artwork under my bed or making the odd kiddies party invitation on MS Publisher. A nice design job like DriverChris does would be nice.... 09:50: Turn up to work with expensive "Michael Caine" glasses, expensive sharp suit and expensive coffee in hand. 10:30: Start "design" work after reading The Guardian and sending emails to your "pretend mates" on your Blackberry. 12:00: Off to the Wine Bar for lunch with "Fifi and Charles" from "The agency". 13:30: Back to work to sketch out that idea that came to you as you "piss-chased" some chewing gum round the urinal in the wine bar. 13:40: Get distracted for a while by minimising the windows on your Mac to "the dock" and back again. You forget the idea you had. Time to have a power-nap. 14:30: Play with your Mac a bit more and read some websites about design and Audi cars. 15:00: Team meeting in the office. See who's got the brightest pink shirt and discuss the future of "frameless fixed-width inline CSS templates" for your customer portfolio. 15:50: Return to the desk and fiddle with Illustrator/Photoshop/Quark until the boss goes home. 17:00: Off home on the tube with your iPod, another expensive coffee and copy of Stuff magazine. 18:00: Get home to your lonely flat. Cry in your Findus "sad and lonely microwave meal for one". Go bed early after watching Trinnie and Susannah, getting tipsy on sparking white wine and being all confused over your sexual preferences.... Is the grass greener? Who knows? I won't. I am doomed to be stuck at this desk whilst a telephone headset burns a ridge into my skull, I fix the same faults I resolved 4 years ago and the world passes me by. EDIT: Just found this alternative program for running Apache and MySql locally to run Wordpress: WampServer Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Tao said...

I am using XAMPP actually!

If you DID read the whole blog, you might have seen my link to the XAMPP site which you have copied above.....!

I thought it was your ear that was dodgy...

Tsk...

Wordpress is another blogging tool but one that runs in a hosted environment - ie: on your own server. There are plenty of hosts out there - too many to choose from really!

Anyway. Nice to hear from you old chum. Beers soon! I promise! Email on its wayyyyyyyyy!

Chris said...

Have you been stalking me?


eerie

bigfootcookie said...

Same shit, just different days.

My work rut is not only well lived in, it is carpeted, has heating, a comfy chair, and I have a cleaner in every day to clear away all my food crumbs.