Tuesday, February 07, 2006

MCE on XP on 360

After recently getting my Xbox360, I decided to re-format my desktop PC and install a copy of Windows XP Media Centre Edition so that I could start streaming movies to the new console. After all, my old Xbox (which is still sitting quite comfortably next to my 360 under the TV) was mainly used as a Media Centre, so I did'nt want to give up that functionality when I upgraded. I attempted to get this working the other day but failed miserably. The 360 would not see the XPMCE machine on the network at all! I did some further reading yesterday over at the XboxScene forums and ran through all the updates from the M$ WindowsUpdate site last night. I thought I had the latest version installed already - but apparently not. An interesting side note is that once you have gone to the M$ WindowsUpdate site and it's Validation Check thing reports that your copy of XP is dodgy, you can go to Tools > Internet Options > Programs > Manage Add-ons and set the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool to "disabled" and it works after that! How fucked up is that? Well... fucked up in a good way. I did'nt get a chance to test it further until this morning after the kids and wife had left for school - and after a little tinkering with the ZoneAlarm firewall (ie disabling the fecker) the PC reported that a new Xbox360 was detected and I was prompted to download another extra bit of software and enter a validation key that the 360 had given me. AND THEN IT WORKED!!!!! I nearly pissed my pants with joy! So many people have had issues with getting the two connected. I don't believe in god - but he was on my side today! I had already converted a DivX video to the WMV format that the 360 likes using the Videora Xbox360 Converter and it worked a treat! The only problem is that the file literally doubled in size to just over 1.6gb! There is a way of converting movies from DivX to WMV on the fly, detailled over here but it looks a little complicated really. Update: Just found out about this application too which was written by the original Xbox Media Centre programmers. And he's from Milton Keynes too! Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you are on the xbox360 train too.. and guess who has already modded x360? there some better tricks that that, there is already a modded navigator to control the internet from your couch..with the x360, and someothers things if you have the xbox control

Anonymous said...

oh and yes, modden to the possible extend right now.. i was not implying anything else..