Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Official BitTorrent Home Page

A new version of the ever popular "Official" Bittorrent client is available from Bram "Stoker" Cohen's website here. Don't forget he is the creator of Bittorrent and therefore is deserved of our respect. I will give the new client a run against Bittornado tonight and maybe post a review tomorrow. I am also trialling another client called Bitcomet which seems ok but is a bit OTT for me i think. The only reason i decided to start with other clients was to see if the "80% sweet spot" could really be achieved. I had read somewhere that if you can limit you upload rate to about 80% of its total capacity then the whole torrent transfer process would be at its best. Bittornado just seemed to ignore my requests to impose a limit but Bitcomet does it nicely. Does it work? Does it f*ck! Well. I limited my upload on a torrent to 10kbs yesterday and my download rate went from 3kb to 41kb immediately! So, i tinkered some more and lost the high speed totally! Damn! Why did i fiddle! Arrghh.. Got it all down in the end though.

No comments: