Monday, April 04, 2005

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you ALL know by now, the Pope died at the weekend. Now, I am not a religious person at all and have no real interest in being or becoming religious at all - but it has shown my wife and I how ignorant we are of religion in general! Obviously there are lots (probably hundreds) of types of religions in the world but I am not even aware of the differences between the largest ones. So, in true internet stylie, off I trot on the merry path to (enlightenment?) knowledge. I started at the Wiki... and stopped! Blimey. Its all very confusing as to why Catholics are different from Protestants (because of the reforms made in the 16th century) and why Othodox is different from the Church Of England (CofE ruled by the queen and government). They all basically stem from the same theories and teachings but have chosen slightly different paths by the looks of it. Nevertheless - I have the utmost respect for people who can *believe* in something with real unbreakable and unquestioning passion. Something that I would not be able to do I think. If I were to adopt a religion then maybe something like Buddhism or Taoism appeals. Mainly as they are more about self than sacrifice and and denial. I have probably got this all wrong... feel free to flame me. I would like to have a nice concise description of Christianity's facets. Maybe someone invented a rhyming poem or something to help people remember. Or a rap? Yeah.. That would be better.

2 comments:

John S. said...

It's good that you decided to do some research. In things involving religion (both those for and against), people too often make all sorts of assertations without bothering to try and learn something new.

Tao said...

I was quite suprised that i actually learnt something too!
I have usually got my head so far (up my arse) stuck in my computer that i ignore most other things!

I am still none the wiser though.